ISLAMABAD, November 5, 2019: The Senate’s requisitioned session was adjourned on Tuesday without addressing its scheduled business amidst protest by the opposition parties against the delay in laying presidential ordinances before the House, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the first sitting of 294th requisitioned session:
- The House met for 51 minutes; however, the proceedings remained suspended for 15 minutes due to Opposition’s protest.
- The sitting started at 1615 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the sitting for 33 minutes in the absence of Chairman while rest of the sitting was chaired by a member of Panel of Presiding Officers.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 21 lawmakers (20%) were present at the outset and 41 (39%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, NP, PkMAP, ANP, BNP-M, JUI-F and PTI attended the sitting.
- Two out of four minority lawmakers were also present.
- Tabled by the Leader of the Opposition, the House adopted a resolution to express sorrow and grief over demise of former Senator Anwar Bhinder.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House did not debate any of the five motions under Rule 218 appearing on the agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- Five lawmakers spoke on points of order for 22 minutes.
- The lawmakers belonging to opposition staged a protest against the delay in laying of ordinances before the House.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on November 6, 2019 (Wednesday) at 1500 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, November 15, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan dropped most of the Private Members’ agenda due to absence of their movers on Friday, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, November 15, 2019: The requisitioned session of Senate was prorogued on Friday after completing debate on all five motions under Rule 218, says Free…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, November 15, 2019: The National Assembly did not take up its scheduled business and debated the withdrawal of a motion to remove the…