ISLAMABAD, January 12, 2017: The Senate Chairman took notice of the disappearance of another rights activist from Islamabad and directed the State Minister for Interior to brief the august House on the issue in the next sitting, observes Free and Fair Election Network on Thursday.
The abducted person was the fifth rights activist kidnapped during last eight days.
Federal Minister for National Food Security and Research gave policy statement on the issue of removing subsidy on fertilizers.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during 4th sitting of Senate’s 258th session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 29 minutes.
- The sitting started two minutes behind the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for an hour and 53 minutes while the rest of the proceedings were chaired by Deputy Chairman.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 34 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition remained present for 45 minutes.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of JUI-F, PTI, PkMAP, NP, PPPP, PML-F, BNP-M and PML-N attended the proceedings.
- Ten members (9% of the total membership -104) were present at the outset and 21 (20%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding increase in local and foreign loans and sale of petroleum products without having valid license.
- Sixteen out of 32 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda were taken up during the sitting. In addition, lawmakers asked 37 Supplementary Questions.
- The Chair admitted an Adjournment Motion (AM) for discussion regarding proposed new amnesty scheme for those holding wealth abroad.
- Two other AMs were withdrawn by their respective movers.
- Following a motion under Rule 157(2), the House discussed Annual Report of the National Economic Council for the Financial Year 2014-2015. Six lawmakers took part in the debate for 25 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House discussed 11 Points of Public Importance for 23 minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Senate sitting was adjourned on Wednesday after the treasury and opposition members nearly came close to blows during the debate on Federal Budget…
ISLAMABAD, June 18 2019: The Senate resumed debate on the Finance Bill 2019 on Tuesday, which was later adjourned due to the protest by JUI-F lawmakers against the ‘controversial’ statement of the Prime Minister and the treasury members opposing it, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, June 17 2019: The Senate continued discussion on the Finance Bill, 2019 amid low attendance of lawmakers on both sides of aisle, says Free…