ISLAMABAD, October 3, 2018: The Senate took up the entire agenda appearing on Orders of the Day and concluded debate on the Finance Supplementary (Amendment) Bill, 2018 on Wednesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings of eighth sitting of 282nd session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 45 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for 24 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hour and 16 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for two hour and 14 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PTI, BNP-M, PPPP, JUI-F, ANP, PkMAP, BAP and NP were present.
- As many as 16 members (15% of the total membership) were present at outset and 35 (34%) at end of the sitting.
- As many as two out of four minority Senators attended the sitting.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Communications, a member of the committee presented reports regarding road accidents on Quetta-Karachi and Quetta-Taftan roads and collection of toll tax at new Islamabad International Airport.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Aviation presented a report of the committee regarding illegal parking and entry fee at new Islamabad International Airport.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Leader of Opposition and the Federal Minister for Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs concluded the discussion on the supplementary budget. Their speeches consumed 19 minutes of the proceedings.
- The House granted 30-day extension to the Standing Committee on Interior for its report on illegal FIR against a sitting senator.
- The House took up 14 Starred Questions for oral answers and referred a question to the relevant committee. The lawmakers asked 16 supplementary questions as well.
- The Ministers of State for Interior and Parliamentary Affairs responded to a Calling Attention Notice regarding statement made by the Prime Minister regarding grant of nationality to the refugees living in Pakistan for decades.
- The Chair ruled out all adjournment motions appearing on Orders of the Day.
- The mover of an adjournment motion regarding excessive use and sale of antibiotics refused to initiate the debate on the motion due to absence of concerned minister. The motion was admitted for discussion during last session of the House.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as two lawmakers raised three points of order consuming five minutes of the proceedings.
- The Chair suspended the proceedings for 24 minutes due to an altercation between a PML-N senator and Minister for Information and Broadcasting.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on October 5, 2018 (Friday) at 1030 hours.
- Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Senate Adopts Recommendations on Finance Supplementary (Second Amendment) Bill, 2019 ISLAMABAD, February 1, 2019: The Minister for Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs could not conclude…