ISLAMABAD, April 12, 2017: The Senate transacted its entire agenda in the absence of Leader of the Opposition during third sitting of the 261st session on Wednesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings:
- The Senate met for three hours.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was also present.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and 43 minutes, while the Leader of the Opposition remained absent from the proceedings.
- Parliamentary leaders of MQM, PkMAP, PPPP, BNP-M and BNP-A attended the entire proceedings.
- Fourteen (13% of the total membership – 104) lawmakers were present at the start and 11 (10%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Two minority legislators attended the proceedings.
- The House witnessed presentation of the report of Standing Committee on Finance on the Limited Liability Partnership Bill, 2017.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Three adjournment motions appearing on the agenda were withdrawn by their respective movers.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs). First CAN was about recent attack on mines in Mohmand Agency and the sufferings of FATA people from the acts of terrorism while the other CAN was related to the refusal of Pakistani banks to accept old designed US$ 100 currency note.
- The House passed four motions to extend presentation period of as many reports.
- Eighteen out of 35 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda were taken up. In addition, lawmakers also asked 24 Supplementary Questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- PPPP lawmakers walked out of the House for seven minutes against enforced disappearances of party loyalists.
- PML lawmaker walked out of the House for two minutes against blocking of CNICs of Pakhtuns.
- Eleven Points of Public Importance were discussed for 41 minutes.
- Three Points of Order consumed seven minutes of the proceedings.
- The House witnessed ministerial response on two Points of Public Importance.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on the direct observation of Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, May 29, 2017: The House of Federation began discussion on the Finance Bill 2017 and transacted the entire business appearing on the Orders of the…
ISLAMABAD, May 26, 2017: The Federal Minister for Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization presented a copy of the Finance Bill 2017 in Senate…
ISLAMABAD, May 16, 2017: The Upper House of Parliament passed six government bills and adopted three resolutions during opposition-requisitioned 262nd session held between May 11,…