ISLAMABAD, June 14, 2019: The Senate took up its entire agenda on Friday and started debate on the Finance Bill 2019, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during second sitting of 290th session:
- The House met for two hours and 13 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1033 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and seven minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 49 minutes.
- As many as 14 lawmakers (13%) were present at the outset and 23 (22%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, ANP, MQM, PPPP and PML-N attended the sitting.
- Two out of four minority lawmakers were also present.
- On behalf of Chairperson Standing Committee on Federal Education and Professional Training, a member of the committee presented reports on the Area Study Centres (Amendment) Bill, 2017 and proposed Public Sector Development Program (PSDP) of the Ministry for Financial Year 2019-20.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Communications presented report on a point of public importance regarding payment to the land owners, whose land was acquired for the construction of road from Kaghan to Babu Sar Top.
- Chairman Standing Committee on National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination presented reports on points of public importance regarding misbehavior of Executive Director PIMS, Islamabad and increase in the prices of medicines.
- On behalf of Chairman Functional Committee on Human Rights, a member of the committee presented report on a point of public importance about blocking of Computerized National Identity Cards (CNICs) of Malik Atta Ullah Khan Bajore and his family members.
- The House passed two motions under Rule 194 (1) granting extension of 60 working days to Standing Committees on Parliamentary Affairs and Law and Justice for presenting reports on a starred question regarding core responsibilities and jurisdiction of ERRA and the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2018.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Four lawmakers – one each of PML-N, PPPP, ANP and PTI – participated in the Budget 2019-20 discussion consuming an hour and 31 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The Opposition lawmakers walked out of the House against non-issuance of production order of PPPP Co-Chairperson & MNA to attend the ongoing session of National Assembly.
- Four lawmakers including the Leaders of the House and the Opposition spoke on points of order for 20 minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on June 17, 2019 (Monday) at 1630 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 20, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab on Thursday continued the general discussion on provincial annual budget consuming 76 percent of the proceeding time,…
ISLAMABAD, June 20 2019: The Senate continued discussion on the Finance Bill, 2019 on Thursday and adopted a resolution to express sorrow at the tragic…
ISLAMABAD, June 20, 2019: The Sindh Assembly continued general discussion on the provincial annual budget which consumed ninety percent of the proceedings, observes Free and Fair…