ISLAMABAD, December 17, 2015: The Senate took up its entire agenda appearing on Orders of the Day on Thursday during fourth sitting of its ongoing 122nd session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for three hours and 15 minutes while also taking a prayer-break for 29 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1501 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the sitting for an hour and 12 minutes while a member of the Panel of Chairpersons chaired the rest of the proceeding.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the sitting.
- The Opposition Leader attended the sitting for 52 minutes.
- Federal Ministers for Religious Affairs, Housing, Petroleum and Natural Resources and Climate Change and State Ministers for Water & Power and Parliamentary Affairs were present.
- Fourteen (13%) senators were present at the start and 18 (17%) at the time of adjournment.
- Parliamentary leaders of MQM, PPPP, PTI, PkMAP, ANP, PML-F, NP and JUI-F were present.
- Two minority members were present.
- Eight members applied for leave.
- On behalf of the Chairman Standing Committee on Interior & Narcotics Control, a member of the Committee presented the reports on the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2015 and the demand of Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa numbered 15 regarding consideration of Special Financial Package for Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Security. The House condoned the delay in presentation of the report.
- On behalf of the Chairman Standing Committee on National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination, a member of the Committee presented the report on the Islamabad Mandatory Vaccination and Protection of Health Workers Bill, 2015.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Information, Broadcasting and National Heritage presented the report of the Committee on a starred question No. 3 asked by Senator Mohammad Azam Khan Swati, on 26th February, 2008. The House condoned the delay in presentation of the report.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Five lawmakers spoke on the motion of thanks to the President of Pakistan for his address to the Parliament. The discussion consumed 89 minutes of the proceeding.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on three points of order consuming seven minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
To download the factsheet, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Senate sitting was adjourned on Wednesday after the treasury and opposition members nearly came close to blows during the debate on Federal Budget…
ISLAMABAD, June 18 2019: The Senate resumed debate on the Finance Bill 2019 on Tuesday, which was later adjourned due to the protest by JUI-F lawmakers against the ‘controversial’ statement of the Prime Minister and the treasury members opposing it, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, June 17 2019: The Senate continued discussion on the Finance Bill, 2019 amid low attendance of lawmakers on both sides of aisle, says Free…