ISLAMABAD, October 5, 2018: The Senate addressed its entire agenda on Friday except a discussion on excessive use of antibiotics, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the House proceedings of ninth sitting of 282nd session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 23 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 58 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for two hour and five minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PPPP, ANP, PkMAP and BAP were present.
- As many as 14 members (13% of the total membership) were present at outset and 23 (22%) at end of the sitting.
- As many as two out of four minority Senators attended the sitting.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Interior presented fourth report of the committee on conduct of free, fair and transparent polls and security of General Elections, 2018.
- The House granted sixty-day extension to the Standing Committee on Interior for presentation of its report on the Islamabad Capital Territory Prohibition of Interest on Private Loans Bill, 2017.
- The House also granted sixty-day extension to the Standing Committee on Water Resources for presentation of its reports on water scarcity in the Sindh and distribution of water to the province in accordance with the Water Accord.
- The Chair disallowed a motion seeking extension for a report of the Standing Committee on Interior regarding n the Islamabad Pure Food Authority Bill, 2018 stating that the bill had lapsed under Rule 207 of the Senate Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business as its mover was appointed as Minister.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding anti-encroachment operation conducted by CDA in Karachi Company, Islamabad. The Minister of State for Interior made a statement on the issue.
- The Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs responded to a CAN regarding voting rights to the overseas Pakistanis.
- The Chair admitted an adjournment motion for two-hour debate on lack of modernization and internal accountability system in the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA).
- The House took up eight Starred Questions for oral answers during the proceedings and also referred a question to the relevant committee. The lawmakers asked 22 supplementary questions as well.
- The Chair deferred a debate on an adjournment motion with the consent of its mover. The motion sought discussion on excessive use and sale of antibiotics.
- As many as 12 lawmakers spoke on matters of public importance for 51 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The opposition lawmakers staged a two-minute token walkout from the proceedings over unavailability of information to the House regarding International Monetary Fund’s (IMF) visiting delegation and possible increase in prices of electricity and gas in future.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on October 8, 2018 (Monday) at 1500 hours.
- Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, June 24, 2019: The Senate passed a motion to adopt recommendations on the Finance Bill, 2019 containing the Annual Budget Statement as reported by…
ISLAMABAD, June 21, 2019: The Senate consumed major part of its proceedings in debate on the Finance Bill 2019 on Friday, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, June 20 2019: The Senate continued discussion on the Finance Bill, 2019 on Thursday and adopted a resolution to express sorrow at the tragic…