ISLAMABAD, May 16, 2018: The Sindh Assembly continued general discussion on the Provincial Annual Budget 2018-19 on and 11 lawmakers participated in debate, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Wednesday.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during fifth sitting of the 40th session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for four hours and three minutes.
- The sitting started at 1213 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for three hours and 13 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceedings.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 27 (16%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 19 (11%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of MQM, PML-N, PPPP and PML-F attended the sitting.
- Eight minority lawmakers were also present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eleven lawmakers took part in the budget discussion consuming three hours and 23 minutes of the proceedings.
Order and Institutionalization
- The Opposition lawmakers protested on floor of the House for eight minutes against absence of relevant authorities to note their recommendations during budget speeches.
- The Opposition staged a token walkout to express solidarity with journalists who were protesting against Commissioner Karachi’s alleged misbehavior with them.
- PML-N lawmaker protested on floor of the House for two minutes over remarks of PPPP legislator against her leadership.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on May 17, 2018 (Thursday) at 1000 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, February 11, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh could not address most of its agenda on Monday due to a walkout by opposition lawmakers who…
ISLAMABAD, February 08, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted its entire agenda and adopted two supplementary resolutions on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
ISLAMABAD, February 07, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh on Thursday passed two government bills and an out-of-turn resolution on the increase in fares of Hajj…