ISLAMABAD, March 8, 2018: The Sindh Assembly on Thursday adopted a resolution to pay tributes to women on occasion of International Women’s Day, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during tenth sitting of the 38th session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for three hours and 13 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1136 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the sitting for three hours and three minutes while rest of the proceedings were chaired by a member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for two hours and 17 minutes.
- As many as 27 (16%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 39 (23%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F, PML-N and PTI attended the sitting.
- As many as five minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The House adopted a resolution to pay tribute to women on the eve of World Women’s Day.
- The House deferred the Sindh Universities and Institutes Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2018 and the University of Modern Sciences, Tando Muhammad Khan Bill, 2017.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Chair rejected an adjournment motion of PTI lawmaker against high fee structure of private schools.
- The House addressed seven out of ten Calling Attention Notices (CAN) while three CANs were not taken up due to absence of the relevant movers and minister.
- The House took up all four Starred Questions for answers during the proceedings. In addition, lawmakers asked 16 supplementary questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- An MQM lawmaker walked out of the House at 1152 hours against the Chair’s attitude and did not return till end of the proceedings.
- Another MQM lawmaker protested within the House for four minutes against the attitude of the Chair.
- A PTI lawmaker also protested for six minutes against rejection of his Adjournment motion.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, November 26, 2018: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh was prorogued on Monday after transacting its scheduled agenda for the day, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, November 23, 2018: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh was adjourned without addressing its scheduled business amidst lack of quorum on Friday, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, November 22, 2018: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh deferred discussion on water-related problems in Karachi, Hyderabad and Mirpurkhas, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…