ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2018: The Sindh Assembly unanimously adopted two resolutions and passed a government bill on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during fourth sitting of the 37th session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for three hours and 12 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1541 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 15 while rest of the proceedings were chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) attended the sitting for an hour and 15 minutes.
- The Opposition Leader was present for an hour and 55 minutes.
- As many as 42 (25%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 59 (35%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-N and PTI attended the sitting.
- Seven minority members were also present.
- Six members applied for leave.
- The House passed the Code of Criminal Procedure (Sindh Amendment) Bill, 2017 while referred the Sindh Institute of Traumatology Orthopedics and Rehabilitation Bill, 2017 to the relevant committee.
- The House adopted a resolution condemning the removal of Benazir Bhutto’s picture from the logo of Benazir Income Support Program.
- The House also passed a resolution recommending the government to teach the life skills as a subject to students.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up six Starred Questions related to the Irrigation Department for answers during the Question Hour. The lawmakers asked 39 supplementary questions as well.
- The House addressed four Call Attention Notices (CANs) regarding the closure of government schools in Karachi, death of devotees after boat going to Meyo Bhittai Shrine drowned near Sakro, the outbreak of Swine Flu in Karachi and the recycling of batteries at a large scale in Karachi.
- The House did not take up the CANs about installation of Reverse Osmosis Plants in Mithi and deplorable condition of a road in Karachi.
- The Chair rejected a PTI lawmaker’s Adjournment Motion regarding rise in various street crimes throughout Karachi.
Order and Institutionalization
- The women lawmakers belonging to opposition parties staged a protest for four minutes when the Chair disallowed their resolution while permitting a similar resolution of a PPPP lawmaker.
- As many as six lawmakers spoke on Points of Order consuming 50 minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, January 23, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed the Sindh Local Government (Amendment) Bill, 2019 amid protest by opposition lawmakers on Wednesday, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, January 22, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh did not address 86% of the private members’ business scheduled for Tuesday while adopting a resolution for…
ISLAMABAD, January 21, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh held a discussion on the prospects of Karachi’s Circular Railway on Monday while deferring its legislative business,…