ISLAMABAD, June 15, 2017: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh concluded general discussion on the Annual Budget 2017-18 and approved 79 Supplementary Demands for Grants on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during eighth sitting of the 33rd session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for six hours and five minutes.
- The sitting started at 1115 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for five hours and 20 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceedings.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for five hours and 48 minutes.
- The Finance Minister attended the sitting for six hours and five minutes.
- Twenty-five (15%) members were present at outset while 56 (34%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F and PTI attended the sitting.
- Seven minority members were present.
- The House approved 79 Supplementary Demands for Grants on the Supplementary Budget Statement for the year 2016-17 and rejected 219 Cut Motions moved by Opposition lawmakers.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Chief Minister and the Opposition Leader winded up general discussion on the Annual Budget 2017-18 consuming four hours and 47 minutes of the proceedings.
- A lawmaker belonging to MQM participated for five minutes in discussion on the Charged Expenditure.
Order and Institutionalization
- Opposition lawmakers staged a token protest for two minutes over rejection of their Cut Motions.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, August 10, 2017: The Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) has urged the Provincial Government of Sindh to establish the Sindh Information Commission at…
ISLAMABAD, August 1, 2017: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed six government bills and adopted four resolutions during 35th session that comprised six sittings held…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 31, 2017: The Sindh Assembly unanimously passed the Sindh Differently Able Persons (Employment, Rehabilitation and Welfare) (Amendment) Bill, 2017 on Monday, says…