ISLAMABAD, May 14, 2018: The Sindh Assembly initiated budget discussion on Monday while also adopting a joint resolution against former Prime Minister’s remarks regarding Mumbai attacks, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during third sitting of the 40th session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for thee hours and 11 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1153 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and 20 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the sitting.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for an hour and 12 minutes.
- As many as 21 (12%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 39 (23%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F, PML-N and PTI attended the sitting.
- As many as eight minority lawmakers were also present.
- A lawmaker applied for the leave of absence.
- The House unanimously adopted a resolution condemning the remarks of former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif regarding Mumbai attacks. The resolution was jointly moved by treasury and opposition lawmakers.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as eight lawmakers participated in budget discussion consuming two hours and 29 minutes of the proceedings.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House was adjourned to meet again on Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 1000 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, January 23, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed the Sindh Local Government (Amendment) Bill, 2019 amid protest by opposition lawmakers on Wednesday, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, January 22, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh did not address 86% of the private members’ business scheduled for Tuesday while adopting a resolution for…
ISLAMABAD, January 21, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh held a discussion on the prospects of Karachi’s Circular Railway on Monday while deferring its legislative business,…