ISLAMABAD, June 9, 2017: Nine lawmakers participated in the general discussion on the annual budget 2017-18 amidst protest and walkout by opposition lawmakers on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during third sitting of the 33rd session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for four hours and 25 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1151 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The proceedings remained suspended for an hour and 15 minutes for Friday prayers.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 31 minute while rest of the proceedings was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) was present for two hours and 20 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for 21 minutes.
- Fifty-eight (35%) members were present at outset while 49 (30%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F and PTI attended the sitting.
- Six minority members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Nine lawmakers – PPPP (seven) and PML-F (two) – took part in the debate on annual budget 2017-18. The discussion continued for two hours and seven minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- MQM lawmakers protested and boycotted the Budget proceedings for not including the schemes recommended by Local Government Representatives while lawmakers belonging to PML-F, PML-N and PTI staged a walkout for two hours and 46 minutes on same issue.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, August 10, 2017: The Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) has urged the Provincial Government of Sindh to establish the Sindh Information Commission at…
ISLAMABAD, August 1, 2017: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed six government bills and adopted four resolutions during 35th session that comprised six sittings held…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 31, 2017: The Sindh Assembly unanimously passed the Sindh Differently Able Persons (Employment, Rehabilitation and Welfare) (Amendment) Bill, 2017 on Monday, says…