ISLAMABAD, March 21, 2016: The Sindh Assembly passed five government bills on Monday during first sitting of its 24thth session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Newly elected MPA Abdul Aziz Junejo took oath of the membership.
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for three hours and 19 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1111 hours against its scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 18 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceeding.
- The Chief Minister attended the sitting for an hour and 18 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- 35 MPAs (21%) were present at outset and 60 (36%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F and PML-N were present.
- Five minority members were present.
- The House passed the Karachi Development Authority (Revival and Amending) Bill, 2016 the Sindh Factories Bill, 2015, the Sindh Terms of Employment (Standing Orders) Bill, 2015, the Sindh Shops and Commercial Establishment Bill, 2015 and the Sindh Service Tribunals (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
- The government presented the Audit Report of the Accounts of the Defunct District Governments for 2004-05. The reports were referred to the Public Accounts Committee to submit its report in one year.
- The House rejected a motion to introduce a private member bill.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The government orally responded to five out of seven Starred Questions appearing on the agenda. The lawmakers also asked 16 supplementary questions.
- The House took up four Calling Attention Notices regarding delay in payment of salaries to minorities on eve of Holi, vacant posts in Government Qatar Hospital Orangi Town, shortage of drinking water in Thatta and reduction in transport fares.
- The Provincial Ministers for Environment and Health made statements before the House on matters relating to their ministries.
- The Speaker declared an Adjournment Motion regarding spread of quackery in the province ‘out of order’. Three lawmakers spoke on the motion for 18 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on nine points of order consuming 11 minutes of the proceedings.
- The House elected Samar Ali Khan as member of the Standing Committee on Culture, Tourism and Antiquities, Khuram Sher Zaman as member of the Standing Committee on Energy and Syed Hafeezuddin as member of the Standing Committee on Government Assurances.
- The Speaker announced the Panel of Chairmen comprising Murad Ali Shah (PPPP), Ghulam Qadir Chandio (PPPP), Syed Sardar Ahmed (PPPP), and Mehtab Akbar Rashdi (PML-F).
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, August 22, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh left around one-third of its agenda unaddressed on Thursday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its…
ISLAMABAD, August 21, 2019: The Sindh Assembly was adjourned on Wednesday due to lack of quorum leaving entire agenda items unaddressed except question hour, says Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, August 20, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh did not take up most of the Private Members’ Business on Tuesday, says Free and Fair…