ISLAMABAD, April 16, 2018: The Sindh Assembly passed the three government bills and addressed four Call Attention Notices (CANs) on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during fifth sitting of the 39th session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for three hours and 57 minutes.
- The sitting started at 16200 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 36 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the sitting.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for three hours and 17 minutes.
- As many as 44 (26%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 40 (24%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP and PTI attended the sitting.
- As many as six minority lawmakers were also present.
- As many as three members applied for leave of absence.
- Moved by the Senior Provincial Minister, the House passed the Sohail University Bill, 2017, the University of Modern Sciences, Tando Muhammad Khan Bill, 2017 and the Government College University Hyderabad Bill, 2018.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up four out of seven Starred Questions during the Question Hour. The lawmakers asked 28 supplementary questions as well.
- The House rejected a PTI lawmaker’s Adjournment Motion regarding irregularities in the Culture, Tourism and Antiquities Department pointed out by the Auditor General of Pakistan’s Report for the Audit Year 2016-17.
- The House took up four CANs regarding Laar Cultural Complex Badin, assassination of a local singer Ms. Samina Sindhu, distribution of Wheat bags (Baardana) and participation of Sindh’s players in Pakistan Cricket Team.
- A CAN regarding release of Sindh Government’s funds for Pakistan Super League Final remained unaddressed due to absence of the mover.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers did not raise any Point of Order.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 1000 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, October 22, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh left its entire agenda unaddressed on Tuesday and adopted two supplementary resolutions, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, October 21, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh left almost its 50 percent agenda unaddressed on Monday and adopted a supplementary resolution to oppose the…
ISLAMABAD, October 15, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh on Tuesday left its entire agenda unaddressed except question hour and unanimously adopted a supplementary resolution to…