ISLAMABAD, April 23, 2012: Starting 60 minutes behind schedule, the first sitting of Sindh Assembly’s 35th session met for 30 minutes on Monday offering condolences on the death of an MPA and the victims of the plane crash near Islamabad.
The sitting was marked by low attendance of Members as 32 were present at the start while 74 were there when the sitting was adjourned
The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting. The parliamentary leaders of the PML (F-B) and MQM attended the sitting.
The following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for 30 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1100 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 1000 hours. The proceedings were delayed by 60 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for 30 minutes while Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of the PML (F-B) and MQM were present while those of PML, PMLF, ANP and NPP did not attend the sitting.
- Thirty-two (19% of 165) Members were present at the start while 74 (45%) were there when the sitting was adjourned.
- Three minority Members were present during the proceedings.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Question Hour was not held as the House did not take up any formal agenda due the death of MPA Abdul Salam Thahim.
- The Syed Abdullah Shah Institute of Medical Sciences Bill 2012 was not taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House offered condolences for the deceased MPA and people who died in a plane crash.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts.
- Orders of the Day were available to Legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
- The Quorum, visibly lacking at various stages during the sitting, was not pointed out by any of the Member.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, June 25, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh concluded the general discussion on the annual budget for the year 2019-20 and approved 66 Demands for…
ISLAMABAD, June 24, 2019: The Sindh Assembly debated the annual provincial budget for ten hours and 30 minutes on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2019: The Sindh Assembly met for eight hours and 42 minutes on Saturday and consumed major portion of the proceedings in debate on…