ISLAMABAD, April 23, 2012: Starting 60 minutes behind schedule, the first sitting of Sindh Assembly’s 35th session met for 30 minutes on Monday offering condolences on the death of an MPA and the victims of the plane crash near Islamabad.
The sitting was marked by low attendance of Members as 32 were present at the start while 74 were there when the sitting was adjourned
The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting. The parliamentary leaders of the PML (F-B) and MQM attended the sitting.
The following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for 30 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1100 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 1000 hours. The proceedings were delayed by 60 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for 30 minutes while Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of the PML (F-B) and MQM were present while those of PML, PMLF, ANP and NPP did not attend the sitting.
- Thirty-two (19% of 165) Members were present at the start while 74 (45%) were there when the sitting was adjourned.
- Three minority Members were present during the proceedings.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Question Hour was not held as the House did not take up any formal agenda due the death of MPA Abdul Salam Thahim.
- The Syed Abdullah Shah Institute of Medical Sciences Bill 2012 was not taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House offered condolences for the deceased MPA and people who died in a plane crash.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts.
- Orders of the Day were available to Legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
- The Quorum, visibly lacking at various stages during the sitting, was not pointed out by any of the Member.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh on Tuesday skipped entire Private Members’ business except question hour due to protest between treasury and opposition lawmakers,…
ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh adopted two resolutions while the remaining agenda was not taken due to Opposition’s protest on Monday, observes…
ISLAMABAD, September 13, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh was adjourned without addressing its scheduled business in honor of the PPPP lawmaker Ghulam Shah Jilani who…