ISLAMABAD, November 22, 2017: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh addressed its entire agenda on Wednesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 14th sitting of the 36th session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for two hours and 28 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for three minutes due to
- The sitting started at 1145 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and 20 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the sitting.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for an hour and 25 minutes.
- As many as 40 (24%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 49 (30%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F,PML-N and PTI attended the sitting.
- Five minority members were also present.
- The Minister for Parliamentary Affairs introduced the Sindh Livestock Registration and Trade Authority Bill, 2017 in the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as four out of seven Starred Questions were responded to by the relevant ministers during the Question Hour. The lawmakers asked 25 supplementary questions as well.
- The House took up five Call Attention Notices (CANs) regarding encroachment on a plot in Korangi area of Karachi, out-of-district duties of 1300 policemen of district Benazirabad, delipidated conditions of Mirpur Sakro to Ghulamullah road, leakage of sewerage line in Hyderabad and issuance of fake number plates in the province.
- The Chair rejected a PTI lawmaker’s Adjournment Motion regarding government’s failure to effectively control pneumonia in Sindh. Two lawmakers spoke on the motion consuming 18 minutes of the proceedings.
- The Chair referred a Privilege Motion, moved by a MQM lawmaker, to the relevant committee.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers did not raise any Point of Order.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 25, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh concluded the general discussion on the annual budget for the year 2019-20 and approved 66 Demands for…
ISLAMABAD, June 24, 2019: The Sindh Assembly debated the annual provincial budget for ten hours and 30 minutes on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2019: The Sindh Assembly met for eight hours and 42 minutes on Saturday and consumed major portion of the proceedings in debate on…