ISLAMABAD, June 10, 2017: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh resumed general discussion on the annual budget 2017-18 amid absence of the Leader of the House and the Opposition Leader on Saturday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during fourth sitting of the 33rd session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for five hours and five minutes.
- The sitting started at 1210 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hours and 55 minute while rest of the proceedings was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) and the Leader of the Opposition were absent.
- Fifty-three (32%) members were present at outset while 48 (29%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F and PTI attended the sitting.
- Six minority members were present.
- Three members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Nineteen lawmakers belonging to PPPP (11), PML-N (two), MQM and PML-F (three each) and an independent lawmaker took part in the debate on annual budget 2017-18. The discussion continued for four hours and twenty minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- MQM lawmakers protested twice against attack on their colleague in Karachi and remarks passed by PPPP lawmaker during his budget speech. The protest consumed twelve minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, August 10, 2017: The Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) has urged the Provincial Government of Sindh to establish the Sindh Information Commission at…
ISLAMABAD, August 1, 2017: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed six government bills and adopted four resolutions during 35th session that comprised six sittings held…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 31, 2017: The Sindh Assembly unanimously passed the Sindh Differently Able Persons (Employment, Rehabilitation and Welfare) (Amendment) Bill, 2017 on Monday, says…