ISLAMABAD, February 01, 2016: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh left most of its agenda unaddressed during 9th sitting of its ongoing 23rd session on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for two hours and 32 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1109 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- 18 (11%) lawmakers were present at the start and 64 (38%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- A maximum of 66 (40%) members attended the sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was present.
- The Chief Minister attended the sitting for 12 minutes.
- The Leader of Opposition attended the sitting for 98 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-N, PML-F and PTI attended the sitting.
- Three minority members attended the sitting.
- Tabled by Minister for Parliamentary Affairs, the House unanimously adopted a joint resolution urging the federal government to carry-forward the benefits of reduced oil prices in international market to its citizens.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up five out of six starred questions appearing on the agenda. Members also asked 30 supplementary questions.
- Four out of five Calling Attention Notices (CANs) were taken up and responded to by the relevant Ministers. All these notices were about governance issues.
- A CAN regarding delay in construction of road scheme at Sanghar Mirpurkhas was not taken up due to movers’ absence.
- The House was adjourned following a motion moved by Minister for Parliamentary Affairs which was about deferring the agenda to meet the delegation of Parliamentarians from Punjab, KP and Balochistan Assemblies during their visit to Sindh Assembly.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on 11 Points of Order consuming 12 minutes of the proceeding.
- “Orders of the Day” was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on legislators’ attendance was available to the observers and the public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, August 9, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh was adjourned early on Friday without addressing its regular business due to protest of the opposition parties, says Free…
ISLAMABAD, August 6, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh met for one minute on Tuesday as the Deputy Speaker adjourned the sitting due to less attendance of…
ISLAMABAD, August 5, 2019: The Sindh Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday to condemn elimination of special status to Indian Held Kashmir (IHK) by…