ISLAMABAD, March 22, 2016: The Sindh Assembly left most of the private members’ agenda unaddressed on Tuesday during second sitting of its 24th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for two hours and 54 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1104 hours against its scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for two hours and 19 minutes while a member of the Panel of Chairpersons presided over the rest of the proceeding.
- The Deputy Speaker was not present
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- 32 MPAs (20%) were present at outset and 43 (26%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F and PML-N were present.
- Six minority members were present.
- The House rejected a motion to introduce the Lyari Development Authority (Amendment) Bill 2016.
- The House adopted a resolution sponsored by PTI lawmaker to computerize the records of Birth Certificate, Permanent Resident Card and Domicile Certificates in the province.
- A resolution regarding the Life Skills Based Education (LSBE) moved by MQM lawmaker was referred to the relevant standing committee.
- The House did not take up three private resolutions and 21 motions to amend its Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The government orally responded to three out of five Starred Questions appearing on the agenda. The lawmakers also asked 15 supplementary questions.
- The Provincial Minister for Excise & Taxation made a statement on the casualties in Tando Muhammad Khan due to poisonous liquor.
- The Speaker declared an Adjournment Motion regarding encroachments in Karachi ‘out of order’. Four lawmakers spoke on the motion for 14 minutes.
- A PTI lawmaker withdrew his privilege motion regarding inaction of the government to stop consumption of alcohol in the restaurants of his constituency.
- The House did not take up five private motions on issues of public importance.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on four points of order consuming five minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, August 22, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh left around one-third of its agenda unaddressed on Thursday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its…
ISLAMABAD, August 21, 2019: The Sindh Assembly was adjourned on Wednesday due to lack of quorum leaving entire agenda items unaddressed except question hour, says Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, August 20, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh did not take up most of the Private Members’ Business on Tuesday, says Free and Fair…