ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Senate sitting was adjourned on Wednesday after the treasury and opposition members nearly came close to blows during the debate on Federal Budget 2019-20, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the fifth sitting of the 290th session:
- The House met for an hour and 23 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1630 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House and the Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- Ten lawmakers (9%) were present at the outset and 49 (47%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, BNP-M, PTI, PML-N, NP and PkMAP attended the sitting.
- One out of four minority lawmakers were also present.
- The Minister for Parliamentary Affairs laid the Assets Declaration Ordinance, 2019 in the House.
- The Chairman Standing Committee on Aviation presented a report on a Calling Attention Notice moved by a PPPP Senator regarding violation of basic human rights and Industrial Relations Act, 2012.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Two PPPP members took part in the budget discussion, consuming 33 minutes of the proceedings.
Order and Institutionalization
- Four lawmakers, including the Leaders of the House and the Opposition, spoke on various Points of Order for 19 minutes, which were related to the decorum of the House to run the proceedings.
- A JUI lawmaker was given the floor to take part in the budget debate, however, he instead used it to criticize the Prime Minister, which was opposed by the treasury benches. A PPPP lawmaker (former Chairman Senate), along with other lawmakers, tried to defuse the situation, but a PTI lawmaker resisted it, which infuriated other PPPP lawmakers, who came forward to rescue their colleague. At this stage, the Sergeant-at-Arms had to intervene to prevent the Senators from fighting with each other.
- The protest of the treasury lawmakers, during the speech of JUI-F lawmaker, continued for 12 minutes.
- The House was later adjourned to meet again on June 20, 2019 (Thursday) at 1630 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the Senate website
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh on Friday left ninety percent of its regular agenda unaddressed and adopted a supplementary resolution to condemn…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The 14th session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab was prorogued on Friday amidst low attendance of lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…