ISLAMABAD, February 11, 2016: The Senate on Thursday took up entire agenda on Orders of the Day and discussed the issues of Petroleum and gas consumers following motions under Rule 218, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for three hours.
- The sitting started at its scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House and the Opposition Leader attended the entire sitting.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Nine members of federal cabinet were present.
- Eighteen (17%) senators were present at the start and 40 (39%) at the time of adjournment.
- Parliamentary leaders of BNP-M, PPPP, PML-N, PML, MQM, PTI and NP were present.
- All four minority members were present.
- The House adopted two separate resolutions expressing grief over demise of former Senator Malik Muhammad Ali Khan and renowned playwright Fatima Surayya Bajia.
- Chairman Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges presented report on the breach of privilege of the House by telecasting live proceedings of the Senate by PTV without permission of the Chairman Senate.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Defence presented report of the Committee on a Calling Attention Notice of Senator Muhammad Usman Khan Kakar, regarding the proposed construction of a Cantonment at Khawazakhela Swat, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- The House witnessed presentation of two legislative reports. The first report was about the Domestic Workers (Employment Rights) Bill, 2015 while other was about the Pakistan Halal Authority Bill, 2015.
- On behalf of Chairman, Standing Committee on Petroleum and Natural Resources, PML-N lawmaker presented report on starred question 122 asked by Senator Mohsin Aziz on November 10, 2015.
- On behalf of Minister for Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization, State Minister for Interior presented the Annual report of the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan for the Financial year 2014-15.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Jointly sponsored by 33 lawmakers of Opposition parties including PPPP,PML, BNP-A and PTI and also an Independent lawmaker, two various motions under Rule 218 were merged. The first motion was about non-transferring the benefits to masses after reduction in petroleum prices in International Markets while other was about burden on gas consumers. Twenty two lawmakers spoke on these issues for 142 minutes.
- The Chair gave a ruling about consideration of adjournment motion in the House.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
To download this factsheet, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, February 20, 2021: The Senate adopted a condolence resolution on the demise of Senator Mushahid Ullah Khan and discussed the Elections (Amendment) Ordinance 2021, observes…
ISLAMABAD, February 4, 2021: The 306th Session of Senate was prorogued after transacting entire agenda on Thursday, observers Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, February 1, 2021: The Senate left five resolutions unaddressed on Private Members’ Day and also deferred as many bills seeking amendments in the Constitution…