ISLAMABAD, September 14, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly transacted most of the business appearing on the Orders of the Day on Thursday including adoption of two resolutions, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during second sitting of the 44th session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for an hour and 48 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1652 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the proceedings for 40 minutes while a Member of Panel of Chairpersons chaired the remaining proceedings.
- The Chief Minister attended the proceedings for one hour.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 40 minutes.
- Twenty lawmakers (31%) were present at the outset and 25 (38%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, ANP, JUI-F, PML-N, NP and MWM were present.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- Six members applied for leave.
- Moved by a PML-N lawmaker, the House adopted a resolution urging the Provincial Government to construct Balochistan House in Karachi.
- The House also adopted a joint resolution calling the government to contact the Federal Government to review its agriculture policy and make it beneficial for farmers of Balochistan. Six lawmakers expressed their views on it for 31 minutes.
- A PML-N female lawmaker withdrew her resolution after assurance given by the Chief Minister to resolve the issue. The resolution was about training of public schools teachers to control physical and mental violence on students.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House deferred a Starred Question appearing on agenda due to ministerial absence.
- A lawmaker belonging to JUI-F moved an Adjournment Motion about issuing licenses to the contractors to use dynamite for mining which was admitted for discussion in next sitting.
- The House did not take up an Adjournment Motion and a Call Attention Notice that appeared on agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on two Points of Order consuming as many minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, February 21, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan took up entire Private Members' agenda and adopted four resolutions on Friday, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, February 18, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan left its entire agenda unaddressed and discussed law and order situation in the province, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, February 13, 2020: The requisitioned session of the Balochistan Assembly was prorogued sine die on Thursday after addressing entire agenda, says Free and Fair Election…