ISLAMABAD, September 11, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan transacted half of its agenda, adopted two resolutions, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during second sitting of 27th session:
- The House met for four hours and 12 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1645 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and 54 minutes while rest of the sitting was presided over by panel of chairperson. Speaker did not attend the sitting.
- The Leaders of the House did not attend the sitting while the Leader of Opposition was present in the sitting.
- As many as one member was present at the outset and 19 (29%) were at the adjournment of the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of ANP, JWP, MMA, PkMAP and BNP-M attended the proceedings.
- Two minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The House two resolutions urging the provincial government to conduct verification and identify the people doing jobs on fake domicile of Balochistan and to take measures for women empowerment. The first resolution was jointly moved by BNP-M and PkMAP lawmakers while the other was moved by a BNP-M lawmaker.
- Two other resolutions moved by BNP-M lawmakers urging the provincial government to take measures against the lawlessness in the province and inflation in the province were deferred due to adjournment of the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up eight out of 10 starred questions while two questions were deferred. In addition, lawmakers asked three supplementary questions.
- The House deferred debate on an adjournment motion regarding blasphemy incident in Sweden due to shortage of time and the sitting was adjourned. The adjournment motion was admitted for discussion in the previous sitting.
Order and Institutionalization
- The sitting remained suspended for 15 minutes due to lack of quorum that was pointed out by a BNP-M lawmaker.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on September 14, 2020 (Monday) at 1600 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, October 19, 2020: The Senate left its entire agenda unaddressed on Private Members’ Day and consumed major portion of the proceedings in debate on political…
ISLAMABAD, October 19, 2020: The National Assembly was adjourned on Monday due to lack of quorum amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and…
ISLAMABAD, October 16, 2020: The National Assembly transacted more than half of its agenda on Friday and witnessed introduction of a government bill seeking amendment in the Elections…