ISLAMABAD, October 4, 2018: The Balochistan Assembly adopted two resolutions and held discussion on agricultural issues on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the fifth sitting of the Assembly’s third session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for three hours and four minutes.
- The sitting started at 1740 against the scheduled time of 1700.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and nine minutes while a member of Panel of Chairpersons chaired the rests of the proceedings.
- The Leaders of the House was present for two hours and 51 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition has not been notified yet in the Assembly.
- As many as 13 lawmakers (20%) were present at outset and 18 (28%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of BNP-M, BAP, PkMAP, HDP and ANP were present during the proceedings.
- Only one out of three minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- As many as 15 lawmakers applied for the leave of absence.
- Moved by BNP lawmaker, the House adopted a resolution recommending the provincial government to approach federal government for transferring the control of Saindak Gold and Copper mines to the province. As many as 11 lawmakers debated the resolution for an hour and 36 minutes. The House also decided to constitute nine-member committee to take up the matter with the government.
- Moved by BAP lawmaker, the House passed a resolution demanding to reduce the airfares of flights operating from Quettta.
- The House deferred a resolution regarding water supply project in Quetta due to the absence of mover.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as six lawmakers discussed the issues related to agriculture consuming 36 minutes of the proceedings.
- The discussion on the National Finance Commission Award consumed seven minutes. As many as two lawmakers participated in the debate and it was deferred till next sitting.
- Provincial Minister for Finance made a statement on a Calling Attention Notice regarding delay in promotion of government officials serving in various departments.
- The House debated an adjournment motion to construct Institute of Cardiology at the proposed site rather than shifting it to some other place. Five lawmakers spoke on it for 27 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as three lawmakers raised as many Points of Orders consuming five minutes of the proceedings.
- A BNP-M lawmaker staged a token walkout as he wanted to speak on the farmers’ issues before consideration of resolutions.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on October 5, 2018 (Friday) at 1500 hours.
- Orders of the Day’ was not available on the website of the Assembly.
- Attendance of lawmakers was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct Observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly deferred question hour due to ministerial absence and adopted three resolutions on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, August 9, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly passed two government bills and adopted a resolution on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, August 06, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly took up its entire agenda on Friday and adopted three resolutions, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…