ISLAMABAD, May 16, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly approved two amendments to the Assembly’s Rules of Procedure for allocation of time to discuss Points of Public Importance and constitution of Ethics and Advisory Committee, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) on Tuesday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during third sitting of the Assembly’s 40th session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for two hours and 11 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1649 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- A member of Panel of Chairpersons chaired entire sitting while the Speaker was absent.
- The post of Deputy Speaker is lying vacant.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the opposition did not attend the proceedings.
- Eighteen lawmakers (28%) were present at the outset and 13 (20%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of ANP, PkMAP, NP, PML and MWM were present.
- Three minority members attended the sitting.
- Nine members applied for leave.
- The Provincial Minster for Revenue introduced the Balochistan Mass Transit Authority Bill, 2017.
- The House approved the recommendations of the Standing Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges to regarding amendments to the Assembly Rules of Procedure for allocation of time to discuss Points of Public Importance and constitution of Ethics and Advisory Committee.
- Chairperson, Standing Committee on Social Welfare presented reports of the committee on the Balochistan Persons with Disability Bill, 2017 and the Balochistan Senior Citizen Welfare Bill, 2017.
- A JUI-F female lawmaker presented report of the Standing Committee on Communication and Works on the Balochistan Special Development Board for Low Cost Housing Schemes Bill, 2017.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up a Starred Question which was responded to by the relevant minister. The lawmakers also asked three Supplementary Questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 17 Points of Order consuming 54 minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, November 21, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted four Private Members’ resolutions and passed one government bill on Thursday, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, November 18, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan transacted entire business appearing on agenda and passed two government bills and a joint resolution on Monday,…
ISLAMABAD, November 15, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan dropped most of the Private Members’ agenda due to absence of their movers on Friday, observes Free…