ISLAMABAD, January 22, 2014: A bill to introduce local languages at primary level was introduced in the Balochistan Assembly during 5th sitting of its 7th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet based on direct observation of the proceedings.
The Law minister tabled the Balochistan Introduction of Local Languages as Additional Subject at Primary Level Bill, 2014 on Wednesday.
A resolution, jointly tabled by legislators of PkMAP, MQM and JUI-F, was introduced in the House that relates to the issuance of blue passport to the members of provincial assemblies.
Three legislators belonging to PkMAP (2) and JUI-F (one) debated the resolution for eight minutes. However, the resolution was withdrawn for some necessary amendments and would likely to be tabled again in the next sitting on January 25.
The House condemned the terror-related incident in Mastung that resulted in the loss of several precious lives. The lawmakers offered fateha for the victims of terror attack, including the security personnel, who embraced martyrdom during the attack.
As many as 25 MPAs were present at the outset while the same number was there at the adjournment of the sitting. The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for thirty three minutes.
- The sitting started at 1536 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours, witnessing a delay of 36 minutes.
- Twenty-five members were present at the outset and the similar number at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- The parliamentary leader of PkMAP was present.
- Five members applied for leave.
- Two minority members were present during the sitting.
- Tabled by Law minister, the Balochistan Introduction of Local Languages as Additional Subject at Primary Level Bill, 2014 was introduced.
- Tabled jointly by lawmakers of PkMAP, MQM and JUI-F, a resolution was introduced in the House calling upon the provincial government to urge the federal government for issuance of blue passport to the members of provincial assemblies. However, the resolution was withdrawn and would be tabled again in the next sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- None of 12 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda were taken up due to the absence of relevant members and responding ministers.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on two points of orders, consuming two minutes of the proceedings.
- No instance of protest, walkout or boycott was witnessed during the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on legislators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a Member organization of FAFEN.
Session Prorogued after Quorum Pointed Out by Food Minister ISLAMABAD, February 28, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan addressed 25 percent of the scheduled business…
ISLAMABAD, February 27, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly left its entire agenda unaddressed on Thursday and was prorogued sine die over lack of quorum, observes Free…