- Session Prorogued
ISLAMABAD, September 21, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly on Thursday adopted a resolution to condemn move against Pakistan in Geneva, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during last (5th) sitting of the 44th session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for three hours and 20 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1657 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the proceedings for an hour and 18 minutes while rests of the proceedings were chaired by a member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Chief Minister attended the proceedings for an hour and 18 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition attended entire sitting.
- Twenty-five lawmakers (38%) were present at the outset and 10 (15%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of JUI-F, PML-N, ANP and NP were present.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- Seven members applied for leave.
- Moved by the Minister for Health, the House unanimously adopted a join resolution to condemn display of anti-Pakistan posters related to Balochistan in Geneva, Switzerland. Five lawmakers spoke on it for 29 minutes.
- The House adopted another resolution to ensure fair distribution of resources to Balochistan and its share in NFC award as per 18th Constitutional amendment.
- Another resolution adopted by the House was about payment of compensation to the families of mineworkers who lost their lives during work.
- The Home Minister presented a report of his department on the issuance of dynamite licenses to mine contractors.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up one out of two Starred Question appearing on agenda for answer during the proceedings.
- The House took up two Call Attention Notices (CAN) about embezzlement in government consolidated funds and dilapidated condition of Balochistan House in Islamabad.
- Moved by an NP lawmaker, the House held discussion on an Adjournment Motion (AM) regarding illegal possession and leasing of government land by former provincial health minister. Nine lawmakers took part in discussion consuming 21 minutes of the proceedings.
- Another AM was withdrawn by the mover on the assurance of the Chief Minister to look into the matter highlighted through it. It was regarding inductions in government departments on fake domiciles of Balochistan.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and issues related to law and order,…
ISLAMABAD, December 31, 2020: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly concluded on Thursday after comprehensive debate on provincial matters including fencing in Gwadar city and…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, December 3, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly did not take up its regular business on Thursday to express condolence over the sad demise…