ISLAMABAD, June 21, 2015: The Balochistan Assembly continued general discussion on the Provincial Budget 2015-16 on Sunday, as eight lawmakers took 88% of the proceedings’ time, reports Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
The sitting started 35 minutes behind the schedule with 20 members (31% of the total membership-65) present at the start and 25 (38%) at the time of adjournment.
Eight lawmakers – PkMAP (4) and one each from PML, NP, ANP and PML-N – shared their views on the budgetary figures for 128 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for two hours and 25 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1535 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours, witnessing a delay of 35 minutes.
- 20 members were present at the start and 25 at the end of sitting.
- A maximum of 32 members (49%) were observed to be present at one point during the proceedings.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister and the Opposition Leader attended the entire sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of ANP, JUI-F, PML, PML-N and PkMAP were present.
- One member applied for leave.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eight lawmakers – PkMAP (4) and one each from PML, NP, ANP and PML-N – participated in the budget debate for 128 minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on legislators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
To download the document, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted three resolutions and debated an adjournment motion regarding Governor’s disinterest in the Assembly business,…
ISLAMABAD, September 14, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan passed a resolution and debated an Adjournment Motion regarding blasphemy incident in Sweden, says Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, September 11, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan transacted half of its agenda, adopted two resolutions, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its…