ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and issues related to law and order, inflation and energy crisis, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Friday.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during first and last sitting of 30th session requisitioned by the opposition lawmakers:
- The House met for an hour and 33 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1643 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire proceedings.
- The Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) was not present.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- As many as 20 MPAs (31%) were present at the outset and eight (12%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of HDP and BNP-M attended the proceeding.
- All three minority lawmakers were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Five lawmakers including the Leader of the Opposition debated role of NAB in accountability process and matters pertaining to law and order in the province, price hike, unemployment and energy crisis. They consumed 40 minutes of the proceedings on it.
- Five lawmakers spoke on points of public importance for 30 minute which were related to killing of mine workers in Mach and sit-in protest of Hazazra Community in Quetta.
Order and Institutionalization
- Two lawmakers spoke on points of order for ten minutes.
- The Session was prorogued sine die.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of the lawmakers was not available to media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, March 5, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh left most of its agenda unaddressed and adopted a supplementary resolution on Friday, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, March 5, 2021: The Punjab Assembly witnessed introduction of five government bills on Friday which were referred to the relevant committees for consideration, observes…
ISLAMABAD, March 4, 2021: The National Assembly proceeded for only five minutes on Thursday and was prorogued without taking up any agenda, observes Free and…