ISLAMABAD, March 26, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan did not consider five private members’ resolutions on Friday and was adjourned due to lack quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 3rd Sitting of 35th session:
- The House met for an hour and seven minutes.
- The sitting started at 1745 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 35 minutes while the remaining sitting was chaired by a Member of the Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Deputy Speaker did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) was not present.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- As many as 17 MPAs (23%) were present at the outset and 14 (29%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The Parliamentary Leaders of MMAP, PKMAP and BNP-M attended the proceeding.
- Two out of three minority lawmakers were present.
- The House did not consider five private members’ resolutions appearing on the agenda. These resolutions demanded to dissolve Board of Directors of QESCO, fix rates of lands being acquired for CPEC route, establish PDMA Centers at tehsil level of the province, ensure implementation on job quota of special persons and contact federal government to curb activities against the spirit of Islam.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House deferred Question hour due to the absence of Ministers for Health and Revenue.
- Minister for Finance responded to a Call Attention Notice (CAN) regarding the financial status of the Province which was sponsored by a BNP lawmaker.
- Another CAN about demolishing shops and houses at Saryab Road Quetta remained unaddressed.
Order and Institutionalization
- A BAP lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1845 hours following which the Chair ordered the bells to be rung for five minutes. The quorum was found incomplete upon counting and the House was adjourned to meet again on March 29, 2021 (Monday) at 1600 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of the lawmakers was not available to media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up any agenda item on Monday except question hour due to lack of quorum, observes…
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The Senate passed four private members' bills and referred 12 bills to the relevant committees after their introduction in the House,…
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab passed two government bills and referred six bills to relevant committees after their introduction in the…