- Session Prorogued
ISLAMABAD, May 20, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly passed three bills and adopted a joint resolution while the proceedings remain suspended for an hour and 17 minutes due to lack of quorum on Saturday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during last (5th) sitting of the Assembly’s 40th session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for three hours and 15 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1600 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The proceedings remain suspended for an hour and 17 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- A member of Panel of Chairpersons chaired entire sitting while the Speaker was absent.
- The post of Deputy Speaker is lying vacant.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the opposition did not attend the proceedings.
- Nineteen lawmakers (29%) were present at the outset and eight (12%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of ANP, PkMAP and PML were present.
- Three minority members attended the sitting.
- Two members applied for leave.
- Moved by Advisor to CM on Law, the House passed three bills including the Balochistan Persons with Disability Bill, 2017, the Balochistan Senior Citizen Welfare Bill, 2017 an the Balochistan Special Development Board for Low Cost Housing Schemes Bill, 2017.
- The House adopted a joint resolution urging the government to contact Federal Government on the matter of releasing funds for PTV Quetta Center. Five lawmakers expressed their view for 20 minutes.
- The Advisor to CM on Mines and Minerals presented report of the Standing Committee on Irrigation and Energy on completion of work of Pat Feeder Canals.
- The House granted 30 days extension in the period of presentation of reports of the Standing Committee on Social Welfare and a Special Committee.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Education Minister on behalf of the Finance Minister made statement on a Call Attention Notices regarding non release of funds to various departments.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 14 Points of Order consuming 45 minutes of the proceedings.
- A lawmaker belonging to ANP pointed out quorum that led to suspension of proceedings for an hour and 17 minutes. The House resumed its proceedings at 1745 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued after Quorum Pointed Out by Food Minister ISLAMABAD, February 28, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan addressed 25 percent of the scheduled business…
ISLAMABAD, February 27, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly left its entire agenda unaddressed on Thursday and was prorogued sine die over lack of quorum, observes Free…