ISLAMABAD, March 22, 2014: The Balochistan Assembly adopted two resolutions and passed one bill during the 3rd sitting of its 8th session on Saturday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet based on direct observation of the proceedings.
The adopted resolutions were about setting up of a medical college in Naseerabad division and establishing Women Parliamentary Caucus in Balochistan Assembly.
Introduced in first sitting, the House passed the Balochistan Wild Life Protection, Preservation and Management Bill, 2014.
Another resolution jointly tabled by lawmakers of NP, PML-N, PML and BNP regarding cut in allocated funds for various projects in Balochistan under Federal PSDP 2013-14 was deferred. The Chief Minister assured the House that no cut would be made and funds for the ongoing projects would be released.
The House offered fateha for those who had lost their lives in a road accident at Gadani.
As many as 34 legislators were present at the outset, while 25 were there at the adjournment of the sitting. The Chief Minister attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was not present.
The House congratulated Provincial Minister for Sports for successfully organizing Balochistan Sports Festival.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for an hour and 40 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1640 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours, witnessing a delay of 40 minutes.
- Thirty-four members were present at the outset while 25 were there at the adjournment of the sitting.
- A member of panel of chairpersons chaired the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was not present.
- The parliamentary leaders of NP, PkMAP, ANP and PML-N were present.
- Eight members applied for leave.
- Two minority members were present during the sitting.
- Tabled by PML-N lawmakers, the House adopted a resolution regarding setting up of a medical college in Naseerabad division.
- Tabled by female lawmaker of JUI-F, another resolution about establishing Women Parliamentary Caucus in Balochistan Assembly was also adopted.
- The House passed the Balochistan Wild Life Protection, Preservation and Management Bill, 2014.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House did not discuss an adjournment motion regarding load shedding of electricity despite being on the agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on six points of order consuming eight minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on legislators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a Member organization of FAFEN.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted three resolutions and debated an adjournment motion regarding Governor’s disinterest in the Assembly business,…
ISLAMABAD, September 14, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan passed a resolution and debated an Adjournment Motion regarding blasphemy incident in Sweden, says Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, September 11, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan transacted half of its agenda, adopted two resolutions, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its…