ISLAMABAD, April 11, 2016: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted a joint resolution and an amendment to the rules of procedure and conduct of business of the House during last sitting (7th) of its 27th session on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for 45 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1040 hours against scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- Fifteen (25%) lawmakers were present at the start and maximum 23 (38%) at the time of adjournment of sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The post of Deputy Speaker is lying vacant.
- The Chief Minister was present.
- The Leader of the Opposition was absent.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PML-N and PML were present.
- One minority member attended the sitting.
- The House adopted a resolution jointly tabled by PkMAP, PML-N, JUI-F and NP lawmakers which was about declaring Ziarat as Tourism Zone. Eight members spoke on it for 27 minutes.
- Moved by an NP lawmaker, the House approved to insert an amendment in Rule 170 by inserting sub-rule 170-A for formation of Council of Chairmen and Standing Committee on Implementation of Resolutions after presentation of the report of the Standing Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privilege on it.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House deferred five starred questions appearing on the agenda due to absence of mover.
Order and Institutionalization
- Members spoke on three Points of Order consuming 11 minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceeding conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and issues related to law and order,…
ISLAMABAD, December 31, 2020: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly concluded on Thursday after comprehensive debate on provincial matters including fencing in Gwadar city and…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, December 3, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly did not take up its regular business on Thursday to express condolence over the sad demise…