ISLAMABAD, February 12, 2016: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted three resolutions on Friday during first private members day of its 26th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for three hours and 48 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1628 hours against its scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- Nineteen (28%) lawmakers were present at the start and 15 (22%) at the time of adjournment of sitting.
- A maximum of 28 (41%) members attended the sitting.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 82 minutes while the rest of the proceeding was chaired by a Member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Chief Minister was present.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PML-N, ANP, JUI-F and MWM attended the sitting.
- One minority member attended the sitting.
- Eleven members applied for leave.
- Tabled by ANP lawmaker, the House unanimously adopted a joint resolution urging the government to contact National Highways Authority (NHA) to construct new roads in District Ziarat and Harnai.
- Tabled by an ANP legislator, the House unanimously adopted a resolution recommending contacting the federal government to reduce the prices of petroleum products by Rs. 15 per liter after decrease of oil prices in international market.
- Another resolution regarding salary issue of employees working in IT branch of Education department was deferred till next sitting due to absence of relevant Minister. The resolution was tabled by lawmaker belonging to NP.
- A resolution tabled by PkMAP lawmaker was unanimously adopted by the House which was about funds released by the Provincial Government to Quetta Electric Supply Company (QESCO) for electrification of 23 districts.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up three out of nine starred questions appearing on the agenda.
- The House debate an Adjournment Motion (AM) moved by JUI member regarding terrorist attacks on security forces in the province. Nine members spoke on it for 98 minutes.
- Another AM moved by NP Member regarding security threats to the educational institutes in the province was also taken up. Six members spoke on it for 20 minutes.
- Moved by PkMAP Member, an AM regarding distribution of tax revenue to the provinces on equal basis was admitted for discussion by the House.
Order and Institutionalization
- Members spoke on three Points of Order consuming six minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
To download this factsheet, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceeding conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, December 3, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly adopted two resolutions on Friday and consumed 30 percent of its proceedings in points of order,…
ISLAMABAD, November 30, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly deferred question hour due to ministerial absence and adopted two resolutions on Tuesday, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, November 27, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly took up entire agenda and passed two government bills on Saturday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…