ISLAMABAD, May 9, 2016: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan on Monday held general discussion on agricultural development in the province amid opposition’s boycott during 3rd sitting of its 28th session on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for two hours and 10 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1615 hours against scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- Twenty five (39%) lawmakers were present at the start and 28 (44%) at the time of adjournment of sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for 60 minutes while the remaining time was presided by a Member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The post of Deputy Speaker is lying vacant.
- The Chief Minister was present.
- The Leader of Opposition attended the sitting for 23 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of MWM, ANP, PML-N, JUI-F, NP and PkMAP were present.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- Eight members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House held general discussion on the agricultural development in the province following the motion moved by JUI-F lawmaker. Nine members took part in debate consuming 71 minutes of the proceeding.
- The House deferred five Starred Questions appearing on the agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- Members spoke on four Points of Order consuming twelve minutes of the proceeding.
- The opposition parties walked out of the House at 1638 hours on the issue of corruption in the province and did not return till the end of sitting at 1825 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceeding conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, April 29, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan took up its entire agenda and adopted four resolutions on Thursday, says Free and…
ISLAMABAD, April 26, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan passed five government bills and discussed bomb blast at a hotel in Quetta, says Free and…
ISLAMABAD, April 23, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted five resolutions and deferred question hour due to absence of relevant ministers, says Free and…