ISLAMABAD, October 24, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly, on Tuesday, adopted a resolution recommending the federal government to distribute oil and gas resources in the province as per the agreed terms in the Eighteenth Constitutional Amendment, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during second sitting of the 45th session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for two hours and 32 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1636 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- A member of Panel of Chairpersons presided over the entire proceedings in the absence of the Speaker.
- The Chief Minister attended the proceedings for an hour.
- The Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 19 lawmakers (29%) were present at the outset and 15 (23%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of NP, PkMAP, MWM, ANP, PML and PML-N were present.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- Seven members applied for leave.
- The House adopted a resolution recommending the federal government to distribute oil and gas resources in the province according to the agreed terms in the Eighteenth Constitutional Amendment. Four members spoke on the resolution consuming 29 minutes of the proceedings.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House deferred five Starred Questions due to the absence of concerned lawmakers and the ministers.
- The House took up two Call Attention Notices (CANs) on the issues of placement of Balochistan Constabulary personnel in their respective districts and appointments through fake domiciles in public departments on job quota reserved for Balochistan province.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised nine Points of Order consuming 29 minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly discussed law and order, increase in prices of petroleum products and challenges after drought in…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 19, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan consumed major part of the proceeding in points of order and deferred question hour…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 04, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted three private members' resolutions and deferred one-third agenda due to ministerial absence, says…