ISLAMABAD, November 20, 2015: Starting 50 minutes behind the scheduled time, the Provincial Assembly of Balochistan took up 90% of its agenda during its last (6th) sitting of 22nd Session on Friday, says Free and Fair Election Network in its daily factsheet.
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for two hours and 30 minutes
- The sitting started at 1550 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hour
- Twenty-two (34%) lawmakers were present at the start and 27 (42%) at the end of the sitting
- A maximum of 30 (46%) members attended the sitting
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting
- The Chief Minister was present
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for two hours
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, JUI-F, ANP, PML and MWM attended the sitting
- One minority member attended the sitting
- Two members applied for leave
- The House adopted a resolution urging the government to revise the import and export policy with Iran to facilitate the traders of the province. The resolution was tabled by a lawmaker belonging to PkMAP.
- The Provincial Minister for Interior introduced two bills namely the Balochistan Sound System (Regulation) Bill 2015 and the Balochistan Prohibition of Expressing Matters on Walls (Amendment) Bill 2015. Both bills were referred to the relevant standing committees.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Out of five starred questions appearing on the agenda, only one was taken up and responded to by the relevant minister.
Order and Institutionalization
- Fourteen Points of Order consumed 43% (64 minutes) of the sitting’s time.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public
To download the factsheet, Click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceeding conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, April 29, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan took up its entire agenda and adopted four resolutions on Thursday, says Free and…
ISLAMABAD, April 26, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan passed five government bills and discussed bomb blast at a hotel in Quetta, says Free and…
ISLAMABAD, April 23, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted five resolutions and deferred question hour due to absence of relevant ministers, says Free and…