ISLAMABAD, September 14, 2017: The Chairman adjourned the Senate sitting on Thursday without addressing most of the scheduled business due to absence of relevant ministers, observes Free and Fair Election Network in Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during fourth sitting of Senate’s 267th session:
- The Senate met for an hour and 15 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1510 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for 38 minutes while the rests of the proceedings were chaired by a member of Panel of Presiding Officer.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 20 minutes.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Eleven members (10%) were present at the outset and 21 (20%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PTI, MQM, and PML-F attended the sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- The Chairman Standing Committee on National Food Security and Research presented 17th follow up report regarding proposed conversion of 1400 acres land of National Agricultural Research Centre (NARC) / Pakistan Agricultural Research Council (PARC) by the Capital Development Authority (CDA) into residential/commercial plots.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Due to ministerial absence, the House took up only one out of 45 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda. In addition, two supplementary questions were asked.
- The Chairman in his observation over ministerial absence requested the Leader of the House to take this matter with the Cabinet; otherwise he will have to take strict action under Rules.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) about decline in export of fruits and vegetables which was responded to by State Minister for Commerce.
- Another CAN about the uncontrolled line losses in power sector was deferred due to ministerial absence.
- A motion under Rule 60 was deferred on request of the Minister In-charge of the Aviation Division.
- The Ministerial response on a point of public importance was deferred due absence of Minister for National Food Security and Research.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
President Arif Alvi highlights indigenous movement of Kashmiris against Indian illegal occupation of the Valley ISLAMABAD, August 5, 2020: The Senate convened a special session…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 30, 2020: The Senate passed two Financial Action Task Force (FATF) related bills after incorporating amendments proposed by opposition in the…
ISLAMABAD, July 29, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Wednesday and referred two Financial Action Task Force (FATF) related bills to the Standing…