ISLAMABAD, June 20, 2016: The Sindh Assembly continues general discussion on Provincial Budget for Financial Year 2016-17 during 6th sitting of its 25th session on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for five hours and 55 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1135 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for four hours and 25 minutes while rest of the proceeding was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Chief Minister was absent.
- The Opposition Leader attended the sitting for 76 minutes.
- Finance Minister attended the entire sitting.
- Twenty-two lawmakers (13%) were present at the start and 30 (18%) at the end of the sitting.
- The Parliamentary Leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F, PML-N, NPP and PTI were present.
- Five minority members were present.
- Four members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Twenty five lawmakers – PPPP (15), MQM (6), PML-F (2), and PTI & PML-N (one each) – took part in general discussion on Budget consuming five hours and 30 minutes of the proceeding.
Order and Institutionalization
- Opposition lawmakers walked out of the House for 26 minutes for not allowing media to cover the proceedings live.
- PPPP lawmakers protest for one minute against the demand of making new provinces while the protest by MQM lawmakers for four minutes was reportedly made against objectionable remarks by a PPPP lawmaker.
- Six Points of Order consumed 11 minutes of the proceeding.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1504 hours. However it was found complete upon counting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 24, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted its entire agenda and passed the Sindh Finance (Amendment) Bill, 2020 on Monday, observes…
ISLAMABAD, August 21, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed five government bills and adopted a supplementary resolution on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, August 5, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh unanimously adopted a resolution on Wednesday to condemn blatant human rights violations in the Indian-Occupied Kashmir and…