ISLAMABAD, October 2, 2018: The National Assembly consumed major part of its proceedings in debate on the Finance Supplementary (Amendment) Bill 2018 on Tuesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceeding during the eighth sitting of second session:
- The National Assembly met for seven hours and 12 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for 17 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1042 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and 13 minutes, the Deputy Speaker for two hours and 35 minutes while rests of the proceedings were chaired by two members of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) attended the sitting for 21 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for two hours and 30 minutes.
- As many as 93 lawmakers (27%) were present at outset and 12 (4%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MMAP, JWP, PML-N, AMLP and BAP attended the sitting.
- As many as eight out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as 32 lawmakers took part in the debate on the Finance Supplementary (Amendment) Bill, 2018 consuming five hours and 31 minutes (77%) of the proceedings.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) about not inviting pre-qualification notice for Mohmand Dam.
- Minister of State for Communication made a statement on a CAN regarding slow pace of work on Hazara Motorway and Express ways from Khwazakhela to Besham and Chakdara to Kalam.
- Two lawmakers spoke on points of personal explanation for seven minutes..
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as six lawmakers spoke on as many points of order for 13 minutes.
- A PML-N lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1316 hours but it was found complete upon counting.
- PML-N lawmakers walked out of the House for 18 minutes when the Chair did not allow one of their colleagues to wind up his speech on supplementary budget.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on October 3, 2018 (Wednesday) at 1100 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, May 15, 2020: The 21st Session of National Assembly was prorogued on Friday after concluding debate on the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic…
ISLAMABAD, May 13, 2020: The members of both sides of the aisle in National Assembly continued discussion on the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic…
ISLAMABAD, May 11, 2020: The National Assembly on Monday met after a gap of around two months to discuss the situation arising out of the…