ISLAMABAD, Dec 21: The Sindh Assembly met for three hours and 30 minutes during the fourth sitting of the ongoing session. The sitting witnessed low attendance of Members, with only 19 present at the outset and 39 at the adjournment of the sitting.
The House unanimously passed the Sindh criminal prosecution service (constitution, functions and powers) (amendment) Bill, 2011, and adopted two Resolutions.
Thirty-four Points of Order were raised which consumed 32% of the sitting time. None of the Points of Order raised attracted the Chair’s formal ruling. Unless the Chair gives a formal ruling on a Point of Order, it does not contribute to any Assembly output.
The Chief Minster attended the proceedings for 25 minutes. The Parliamentary Leaders of the PPPP, MQM, NPP, ANP and PML (forward block) attended the sitting.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for three hours and 30 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1055 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1000 hours. The House proceedings started late by 55 minutes.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting. The Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Chief Minster attended the sitting for 25 minutes.
- The Parliamentary Leaders of PPPP, MQM, NPP, ANP and PML (forward block) attended the sitting, while the leaders of the PMLF and PML were absent.
- Nineteen Members (11% of total Membership) were present at the start, while 39 (23%) when the sitting was adjourned.
- Five minority Members were present during the sitting.
- One Member applied for leave to be absent.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Out of the 24 questions listed for the Question Hour, only five were put up and responded by relevant ministries.
- Thirty-two supplementary questions were raised during the sitting.
- The House unanimously passed the Sindh criminal prosecution service (constitution, functions and powers) (amendment) Bill, 2011.
- Two Resolutions were adopted by the House. The first Resolution demanded strict action against the manufacturers displaying the Christian cross in New Anar Kalli Bazar in Lahore. The other Resolution appreciated Malala Yousafzai for promoting education for girls and peace in Swat.
Order and Institutionalization
- A total of 34 Points of Order were raised, which consuming 67 minutes (32% of sitting time). However, none of the Points of Order raised attracted the formal ruling of the Chair.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts during the sitting.
- Orders of the Day were available to Legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
- The Quorum was visibly lacking at various stages during the sitting. However, lack of Quorum was not pointed out by any of the Members of the Sindh Assembly.
|After successfully observing proceedings of the National Assembly, the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) has started the observation of the provincial assemblies – Sindh, Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan – and the Senate.
This daily factsheet is based on FAFEN’s direct observation of the fourth sitting of 32nd session of the Sindh Assembly.
These reports are released on the day the sittings are held to provide media and other interested stakeholders vital statistics about the Assembly proceedings to encourage informed public discourse on its performance.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, June 24, 2021: The Sindh Assembly continued general discussion on provincial budget 2021-22 and five lawmakers took part in the debate, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, June 23, 2021: The Sindh Assembly continued general discussion on provincial budget 2021-22 amid protest of opposition lawmakers and seven lawmakers took part in…
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2021: The Sindh Assembly continued general discussion on provincial budget 2021-22 and 18 lawmakers took part in the debate, observes Free and…