ISLAMABAD, June 24, 2020: The interim report of PIA plane crash was presented in the National Assembly by the Government, while the discussion on the federal budget 2020-21 continued on Wednesday as well, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during thirteenth sitting of 22nd session of NA:
- The House met for 12 hours and ten minutes.
- The proceedings started at 1015 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours, the Deputy Speaker for two hours and 41 minutes while remaining sitting was chaired by two Members of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- A total of 18 lawmakers (5%) were present at the outset and 24 (7%) at the adjournment of the sitting. As per SOPs, 46 lawmakers of the government and 40 members of the opposition parties would attend each sitting during the ongoing budget session while the overall attendance to be marked at the main gate of the National Assembly.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N and PPPP attended the sitting.
- Five out of 10 minority lawmakers were also present during the proceedings.
- Tabled by a PPPP lawmaker, the House unanimously adopted a joint resolution to condemn a cleric on blasphemy of Hazrat Bibi Fatima Zahra (R.A) and demanded to ensure strict implementation on the laws against such acts.
- Minister for Aviation presented interim report of PIA plane crash in Karachi on May 22, 2020 and spoke for 39 minutes on it.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Forty-four lawmakers took part in the general discussion on the federal budget for the year 2020-21. The discussion consumed 10 hours and 58 minutes of the proceedings.
Order and Institutionalization
- Six lawmakers spoke on points of order for ten minute while Advisor to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs gave a statement on an issue raised by a PML-N lawmaker during his speech.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on June 25, 2020 (Thursday) at 1030 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly’s proceedings, conducted by the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, August 13, 2020: The Senate on Thursday referred five government bills to the relevant committees, which were related to the Financial Action Task Force…
ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2020: The 24th session of Balochistan Assembly was prorogued on Wednesday after holding debate on issues at Pak-Afghan border in Chaman as…
ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2020: Traders disregarded the official prices of pulses in around two-thirds of the surveyed districts, meat in more than half of the regions,…