ISLAMABAD, June 18 2019: The Senate resumed debate on the Finance Bill 2019 on Tuesday, which was later adjourned due to the protest by JUI-F lawmakers against the ‘controversial’ statement of the Prime Minister and the treasury members opposing it, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the fourth sitting of the 290th session:
- The House met for an hour and 39 minutes; however, the proceedings remained suspended for 19 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1632 hours against the scheduled time of 1630 hours.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the entire sitting in the absence of the Chairman.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for 51 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 26 minutes.
- Six lawmakers (5%) were present at the outset and 32 (31%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, BNP-M, PTI and PML-F attended the sitting.
- Two out of four minority lawmakers were also present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Four lawmakers – one each of PTI, PML-N, JUI-F and PPPP – participated in the budget 2019-20 discussion, consuming an hour and three minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- During the budget debate, a JUI-F lawmaker criticized the Prime Minister over his alleged statement on a religious issue. The treasury lawmakers opposed it, and the Chair did not allow the opposition Senator to continue speaking on the subject after 10 minutes, which led to the adjournment of the sitting till at 1630 hours tomorrow (June 19, 2019). The overall protest from both sides consumed 22 minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the Senate website
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The 9th session of Sindh Assembly was prorogued on Friday after two days debate on measures to tackle COVID-19, observes…
ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The National Assembly did not take up its regular business on Friday to express condolence over the demise of Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal Pakistan (MMAP) lawmaker…
ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The Senate took up its entire agenda on Friday and adopted a supplementary resolution to condemn violation of human rights in…