ISLAMABAD, September 10, 2013: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly passed the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Arms Bill 2013 during the first sitting of the fourth session on Tuesday.
The Information Minister also laid before the House the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Right to Information Ordinance 2013.
The Speaker chaired the three-hour long sitting. The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition were absent while the parliamentary leaders of PPPP, AJIP, ANP, JUI-F and the sole member of APML attended the sitting.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members Participation in House Proceedings
- The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly met for three hours. The house observed a 36 minute break.
- The proceedings started at 1530 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1500 hours, witnessing a delay of 30 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting and the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- As many as 42 members were present at the outset while 46 were there at the time of adjournment. A maximum of 73 members were present at one point during the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, AJIP, ANP, JUI-F and the sole member of APML attended the sitting while the parliamentary leaders of QWP and JI were absent.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- Seven members applied for leave.
- The house passed the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Arms Bill 2013 which was moved by the Law Minister on behalf of the Chief Minister.
- The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Right to Information Ordinance 2013 was laid by the Minister for Information.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The house took up two Calling Attention Notices on the damages caused by rains in district Mansehra and the government urged to purchase land at market prices. The notices were moved by PMLN and ANP lawmakers respectively.
- An adjournment motion on the provincial government’s slow response to spread of dengue virus in Swat was deferred because of the absence of the relevant minister.
Order and Institutionalization
- The entire opposition staged two walkouts during the proceedings. First, a 16-minute walkout was observed against the government omitting the opposition’s candidates in appointing the chairman of a district fund allocating authority. Later, a minute before the proceedings ended, the opposition walked out when the chair did not allow an ANP MPA to speak.
- A PPPP legislator moved a privilege motion on violation of a government restriction on the free use of guest houses by government members. The mover withdrew the motion after the matter was discussed in the House.
- The List of Business (agenda) was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information of members’ attendance was available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of KP Assembly proceedings conducted by PAIMAN a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, June 29, 2021: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly approved 55 supplementary demands for grants for the financial year 2020-21, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
ISLAMABAD, June 28, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) held general discussion on supplementary budget for the financial year 2020-2021, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, June 26, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed the Finance Bill, 2021 on Saturday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…