ISLAMABAD, September 12, 2013: Two resolutions were adopted during the third sitting of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly’s fourth session on Thursday.
Moved by a JUIF female MPA, the first resolution adopted by the House was on recommending the federal government to ensure that Azan should be telecast on all official and private television channels for five times. The other resolution called for repairing Madain Grid Station damaged during floods in 2010.
Out of 15 five starred questions on the agenda, five were taken up. The legislators asked 25 supplementary questions.
The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting and the Leader of the Opposition attended it for half an hour. The Deputy Speaker chaired the whole sitting.
The House took up two Calling Attention Notices over the issue of not awarding degrees to students of UET Kohat and increasing fines on sale of substandard goods.
An adjournment motion was raised on the rehabilitation of addicts.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members Participation in House Proceedings
- The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly met for four hours and 12 minutes.
- The proceedings started at 1550 hours, witnessing a delay of 50 minutes against the scheduled starting time of 1500 hours. The House took two breaks of 50 and 42 minutes during the sitting.
- There were 35 legislators at the time of outset and 42 at the end of the sitting. A maximum of 74 members were present at one point during the sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition attended the proceeding for 30 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, APML, and PPPP attended the sitting.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- Two members applied for leave.
- Moved by a JUIF female MPA, the House adopted a resolution on recommending the Federal Government to ensure that Azan (Call for Prayer) should be telecast on all official and private television channels.
- Another resolution presented by an ANP MPA was adopted. It also demanded the federal government to ensure repair of Madain Grid Station damaged during floods in 2010 and to give status of WAPDA Division and Sub-Division to Khwaza Khela and Madain grid stations.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) were taken over the issue of not awarding degrees to students of UET Kohat and increasing fines on sale of substandard goods.
- An adjournment motion was raised on the rehabilitation of addicts.
- Five starred questions on the agenda were taken up. Additionally 25 supplementary questions were asked.
Order and Institutionalization
- A Point of Order consumed one minute of the proceedings.
- The whole opposition observed a token walkout for six minutes as two female MPAs from PML-N and JUIF pointed out discrimination over allocation of funds.
- The List of Business (agenda) was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information of members’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of KP Assembly proceedings conducted by PAIMAN a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, November 26, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed two government bills and adopted one resolution on Friday, observes Fee and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, November 22, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed two government bills on Monday and was adjourned amid lack of quorum, observes…
ISLAMABAD, November 12, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted entire agenda on Friday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes…