ISLAMABAD, February 20, 2014: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly continued debate on prevailing law and order in the province after suspending the agenda except question hour during the second sitting of 10th session on Thursday, says Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet.
Six lawmakers participated in the debate that continued for two hours and 22 minutes. One lawmaker each from PML-N, JUI-F, PTI, ANP, PPPP and QWP participated in the debate.
Forty-two members were present at the outset while 80 at the time of adjournment of the sitting. The Chief Minister attended the proceedings for two hours and 52 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition remained present for two hours and 37 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings:
- The KP Assembly met for four hours and 52 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1525 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours, witnessing a delay of 25 minutes.
- The House held two prayer breaks for an hour.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting as the Speaker was absent.
- The Chief Minister attended the proceedings for two hours and 52 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for two hours and 37 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of AJIP, APML, ANP, JUI-F, PML-N, PPPP and QWP attended the proceedings.
- Forty-two members were present at the outset and 80 at the time of adjournment of the proceedings.
- Three minority members attended the sitting.
- Six members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness:
- Six lawmakers participated in the debate which continued for two hours and 22 minutes.
- One lawmaker each from PML-N, JUI-F, PTI, ANP, PPPP and QWP participated in the debate. PML-N lawmaker discussed the law and order situation in the province for 49 minutes followed by JUI-F (25 minutes), ANP (20 minutes), PTI (18 minutes), QWP and PPPP (15 minutes each).
- All 17 starred questions (requiring oral as well as written replies) appearing on the agenda were taken up. However, thirteen of them were responded to by the relevant ministries while lawmakers also asked three supplementary questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- The only point of order consumed two minutes of the proceedings.
- No instance of protest, walkout or boycott was witnessed during the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was not available to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of KP Assembly proceedings conducted by PAIMAN, a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) took up entire agenda and adopted two resolutions on Monday, observes Fee and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) took up its entire agenda and adopted four resolutions on Friday, observes Fee and…
ISLAMABAD, September 14, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted entire agenda and discussed an adjournment motion about impact of Afghanistan situation on…