ISLAMABAD, October 17, 2016: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly passed one bill amid low attendance of lawmakers during the 9th sitting of its ongoing 21st session on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The sitting started 41 minutes behind the schedule with 22 members (18%) present at the start and 31 (25%) at the time of adjournment.
Following are key observations of the proceedings:
- The KP Assembly met for 54 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1541 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The sitting was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leader of the House was not present while the Leader of the Opposition attended entire sitting.
- 22 lawmakers (18%) were present at the start and 31 (25%) at the end of the sitting. A maximum of 35 members (28%) were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
- The Parliamentary Leaders of PML-N and ANP were present.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- Eleven members applied for leave.
- Introduced by a PTI lawmaker, the House passed the KP Urban Mass Transit Bill, 2016.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Sponsored by a JI lawmaker, the House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) to check the sale of unhygienic chips in Malakand Division.
- Another CAN regarding lack of funds to run the buses of a school of special children at Hyatabad Peshawar was not taken up due to absence of relevant minister.
- Two starred questions appearing on the agenda for the day were taken up.
. Order and Institutionalization
- Ten minutes were consumed on two Points of Order.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the KP Assembly proceedings conducted by the United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) discussed state of the education in the Province and witnessed introduction of a…
ISLAMABAD, September 15, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) discussed Billion Tree Afforestation Project and passed a government bill on Tuesday, says Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 14, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed a government bill and discussed Chakdara-Chitral CPEC Route on Monday, says Free and Fair…