ISLAMABAD, December 4, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted entire agenda on Friday and witnessed introduction of three government bills, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during second sitting of the 15th session:
- The House met for two hour and 25 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1040 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- Fifty (34%) legislators were present at the start and 60 (41%) at the end of the sitting.
- The Parliamentary Leaders of ANP, PML-N and BAP attended the sitting.
- Three out of four minority members were present.
- Provincial Minister for Law introduced three government bills in the House including the KP Code of Civil Procedure (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020, the KP School Bags (Limitation of Weight) Bill, 2020 and the KP Alternate Dispute Resolution Bill, 2020.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up six out of eight starred questions while two questions were lapsed due to absence of movers. The lawmakers also asked four supplementary questions as well.
- The House took up two Call Attention Notices (CANs) regarding murders of two children in an area of Peshawar and strategy of provincial government to tackle challenge of COVID-19. These CANs were responded to by Ministers for Law and Finance respectively.
- The Chair admitted an adjournment motion of PPPP lawmaker for discussion in the next sitting which was regarding reported incidents of sexual harassment in universities.
- The Chair referred the privilege motion of an ANP lawmaker to the relevant committee. The motion was moved against Director General Mines and Minerals.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House was adjourned to meet again on December 7, 2020 (Monday) at 1400 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on the direct observation of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly proceedings conducted by the United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 22, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up its regular business on Friday and was adjourned as a mark of respect for…
ISLAMABAD, January 19, 2021: Despite COVID-19 associated challenges, the PS-52 Umer Kot-II by-elections witnessed an encouraging male and female turnout with low incidence of procedural…
ISLAMABAD, January 18, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted most of its agenda on Monday and passed three government bills, observes Free…