ISLAMABAD, April 16, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted its entire agenda on Friday amid absence of the leaders of the house and the opposition, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 5th sitting of the 17th session:
- The House met for two hours and 26 minutes.
- The sitting started at 10:34 am against the scheduled time of 10:00 am.
- The deputy speaker chaired the entire sitting in the absence of speaker.
- The leader of the House (Chief Minister) and the leader of the opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Two out of four minority lawmakers were present.
- Only the parliamentary leader of ANP attended the sitting.
- The Special Assistant to Chief Minister for higher education presented the KP Civil Servants (Amendment) Ordinance, 2021. He also introduced the KP Letters of Administration and Succession Certificates bill, 2021.
Representation and Responsiveness
- An ANP lawmaker withdrew his privilege motion against the XEN-Communication and Works (Highways) Swat Division following the assurance by Minister for labor to look into the matter.
- A privilege motion of an ANP lawmaker against the Director General Health Services was referred to the relevant committee.
- The Chair admitted an adjournment motion for debate. It was regarding price hike in the holy month of Ramadan and was sponsored by an ANP lawmaker.
- The House debated an adjournment motion regarding a bid to give away a minor girl in `Swara’ as a means to strike peace between two warring parties in the Swat district. Seven lawmakers took part in the debate for 25 minutes.
- Minister for labor and culture responded to two calling attention notices demanding inquiry regarding reported change in date of birth of a serving member of the Public Service Commission and investigation into the killings Shangla’s coal miners.
- The House took up eight out of ten starred questions while lawmakers asked six supplementary questions as well.
Order and Institutionalization
- Two lawmakers spoke on points of order (POs) related to poor investigation into murders of three persons in Shangla. These POs consumed five minutes of the proceedings.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on April 19 (Monday), 2021 at 11:00 am.
- ‘List of Business’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on the observation of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly proceedings conducted online by United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions excepted
ISLAMABAD, May 17, 2021: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday condemning Israeli atrocities against the people of Palestine, says Free and Fair…
Calls for a broader public debate and political discourse on the meaningful electoral reforms to enhance representation and inclusivity ISLAMABAD, May 11, 2021: The Free…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, May 7, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed two government bills and concluded pre-budget discussion, observes Free and Fair Election Network…